20 Jul Eliminate Your Dental Nerves and Anxiety with These Tips
If you are terrified of the dental office, dentist, and the dental tools that poke and prod your oral cavity, we are here to help you feel better in the dental chair! Dental anxiety and dental fear are very common and they are also treatable. To feel more comfortable and relaxed at our office, we recommend doing the following things:
• Bring someone you know and trust to the appointment with you. If you do this, you will have someone who loves and supports you with you throughout your treatment. It is also best if they do not have a fear of the dental office.
• Talk to your dentist about sedation dentistry. Dental sedatives are great things that can help you feel calm and relaxed at the dental office. The sedatives available in the dental world today include oral sedation, laughing gas (also known as nitrous oxide), and IV sedation. However, only qualified dentists are able to provide IV sedation.
• Bring music into the office with you. Listening to music during your appointment will help you stay calm and relaxed. You can also calm your nerves by watching television or having your family member or friend read a story to you.
• Establish a “stop” signal with your dentist, like raising your hand or blinking your eyes three times. If you do, your dentist will know when you are uncomfortable and when to give you a break.
• Use relaxation techniques to calm your heart rate. If you control your breathing by taking a deep breath, holding it for a couple seconds, and slowly letting it out, you will feel more comfortable and relaxed.
If you would like to know more about relaxing in the dental chair, we invite you to call our office today. We are more than happy to help you abolish your fear of the dentist, dental office, and dental tools!